Hi friends! Y’all, the weather in Houston has been so good this last week! I’m a total cliche, but the weather has dropped to the low 80s & my sweaters are out! Haha! I will never complain about cooler weather; September through December is my favorite time of year!
Shall we get to my favorite things from the week?
One: Ombre Manicure
Okay, by now y’all know how much I love Olive & June nail polish. Well, I have given myself a Fall inspired ombre manicure to celebrate the first day of Fall. I call this my berry crisp manicure (formerly known as my apple picking mani). 🙂
The O&J colors I used (from pinky to thumb) were: CN, SC, JG, LD, HZ.
Two: New Art Piece
I did it. I finally ordered a piece from Maren Devine Art on Etsy. I had a really hard time choosing which pice to get, but ultimately chose “Sara.” I’m so in love with it!
Three: It’s Soup Time!
I love, love, love soup! It is my favorite food group. This week I made a big pot of minestrone soup, & put store bought broccoli cheese soup atop a bake potato. Don’t mind if I do.
I make a version of Jeff Mauro’s Veggie-Packed Autumn Minestrone. Here’s what I do with his recipe:
- In a large pot, brown 1 pound of Italian sausage in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. 5-8 minutes. (I buy the kind already out of the casings).
- Add celery, carrots, & onions (I buy this pre-chopped from my grocery store) & sauté for 15 minutes until translucent.
- Add 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary, & 1 tablespoon of tomato paste – cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in 8 cups of chicken or veggie stock, 1 28oz. can of diced tomatoes, 1 15.5oz. can of cannelloni beans (drained & rinsed), & 1 bay leaf.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- While that simmers, dice & peel your sweet potatoes equaling 2 cups. I like to buy cubed sweet potato from the grocery store. Also, dice 2 zucchini. I use this time to also cook my pasta.
- After 40 minutes, add the sweet potato & zucchini & cook for about 10 minutes.
- I put pasta in the bottom of my bowl & serve the soup on top, then sprinkle parmesan cheese liberally over the top.
- I like to use either mild or spicy sausage, the recipe calls for sweet Italian sausage.
- I also like to use butternut squash in place of the sweet potato sometimes.
- I salt & pepper just about ever layer of soup, – S&P the meat, S&P the mirepoix, S&P the broth.
- I specifically like small pasta shapes that will hold the broth.
- Jeff Mauro used spinach instead of pasta, so if you are low carb do that.
- Store the leftover pasta & soup separately, as the pasta will absorb all the broth.
This is my most requested dish that I make. 🙂
Four: Are you registered?
Last Tuesday, Sept. 22nd was National Register to Vote day. It’s not too late to make sure you’re registered to VOTE. Deadlines for registering start as early as next weekend, so double & triple check! Especially after this past week…
Check your Registration here:
Okay, this is silly & super random, but I’m kinda obsessed with figs right now. If you have any good recipes for them let me know.
Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend, and remember to make sure you are registered to VOTE. This weekend I will be planting my fall garden in my tower!