Don’t we all have those certain songs that just make you want to turn the music up & put the windows down? Or the songs that make you want dance? Or the songs that give you all the feels?
Here are a few of my favorites:
- “Dancing in Heaven” by La Douche. This is a song from the Girls Just Want to Have Fun soundtrack, which is one of my favorite movies.
- “Fast Cars & Freedom” by Rascal Flatts. I love this song so much! It reminds me of a carefree time in my life, the summer between my junior & senior year of college. I think of driving the back roads of East Texas with the windows down, singing at the top of my lungs.
- “The Weekend” by Steve Wariner. This is one of my all time favorite songs; Mama J loves it too! I want a love story like the one in this song.
- “I Feel the Earth Move” by Carole King. Seriously, who doesn’t love this song? If you don’t, then we can’t be friends. Mandy Moore does a fantastic cover of this song.
- “Help Me” by Joni Mitchell. If you can’t tell by now, I have a thing for older music. I thank my parents. This is my absolute favorite Joni song. K.D. Lang does a really great cover of it.
- “Your Love is King” by Sade. This is actually a pretty peppy song for Sade, not quite as sensual (bubble bath music) as most of her stuff. My favorite version of this song is performed by Will Young.
- “Until You” by Dave Barnes. I was introduced to this song by one of my college roommates, Kim, during the summer of 2006. I made her play it on repeat anytime we were in her car. It has the most beautiful lyrics. Oddly enough, this song has shown up on a Billy Currington album.
- “Crocodile Rock” by Elton John. If this song doesn’t make you want to dance, then you are dead inside. Love Debbie Gibson’s version of this back in the 80’s (early 90’s?).
- “Hungry Eyes” by Eric Carmen. You’d probably recognize this song from Dirty Dancing. I’m slightly obsessed with this song (& movie). It’s a karaoke go-to.
- “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac. One of my favorite love songs. The Dixie Chics released a stunning cover of this song, but my favorite cover is sung by Madilyn Bailey. Some of her notes are so perfectly in tune that you can hear a slight ringing above the music. That doesn’t happen too often for those of you that don’t know much about the musicality of a song.
- “Kiwi” by Maroon 5. This song is kinda dirty, but I love it. It’s cheeky & catchy. Who doesn’t want Adam Levine to sing to them about sex?
- “One of These Nights” by The Eagles. This would be the song that made me fall in love with The Eagles. I always wanted the lyrics, “I’ve been searching for the daughter of the Devil himself; I’ve been searching for an angel in white. I’ve been waiting for a woman who’s a little of both. I can feel her, but she’s nowhere in sight,” to be about me.
- “Leavin’ On Your Mind” by Patsy Cline. Hands down my favorite Patsy song. My dad was a big “Real Country” music fan & Patsy was one of his favorites. Leann Rimes did a great version of this song a few years ago as well.
- “Under the Boardwalk” by The Drifters. This song reminds me of riding in the car with Mama J when I was younger. When this came on the radio, I still remember it was Oldies 103.5, I always made my mom crank it! It puts me in such a great mood.
- “Blue Skies” by Lenka. Lenka is an Aussie that is not super popular in the states yet, but she should be. This is a favorite off her current album.
- “Electric Twist” by A Fine Frenzy. I hard a hard time narrowing it down to just one song by this AFF. I really love most of her songs.
- “Who’s Thinking About You Now” by Jason Mraz. This is one of those songs that I think is a love song, but could go either way. Any way you take it, Jason Mraz is a lyrical genius. I am fascinated.
- “Long, Long Time” by Linda Ronstadt. I’m obssessed with Linda. This song is sad, but I love it. Mind McCready (RIP) did a great cover of this back in the late 90’s.
- “Fairytale” by Sara Bareilles. Sara can actually do no wrong in my book. I LOVE all of her music. This particular song is a bit of a feminist anthem. You should play it if a man has done you wrong.
- “Nothing but the Water” I & II by Grace Potter & the Nocturnals. This song is a two-parter. It is my jam!