Hi friends! Last week I promised to be better ally for fellow black Americans. Today’s Friday Five is a list of the five things I’ve done so far. I have spent the last week+ educating myself to be a better ally & to be anti-racist. It is overwhelming, but sometimes the necessary things are the hard things. My eyes have been opened & I hope to open yours.
One: Dear White People
Dear White People is a show that is funny, smart, informative, heartbreaking, sexy, relatable, & so much more.
There is language, sex, & drug use – so don’t watch with kiddos. Three seasons, 10 episodes each – you can binge it this weekend, & I demand that you do. You can watch it on Netflix.
Two: White Fragility
I bought the book White Fragility by Robin Diangelo. This book is an innovative analysis of the counterproductive reactions white people have when discussing racism.
I will be reading this book this weekend.
Three: Diversifying my IG
I have spent the last week diversifying who I follow on Instagram. I’m ashamed it wasn’t’t more diverse to begin with. Here are 3 people I really enjoy following, unrelated to our current situation.
- @simplicityfordesigns – Gbeke is a DIY Home Blogger from Dallas, TX. Follow her blog here. Isn’t this wall a dream come true?!?
2. @_happygocurly_ – Ailsa is a certified nurse & midwife in the DC area (soon to be Miami). Ailsa is also a military wife. She has such a kind soul. Ailsa has been volunteering to answer questions on things we can do on IG – please make sure its not something Google-able.
3. @tarynnewton – Taryn is a blogger from the Dallas area. You can check out her blog here. She is a mother of 3 boys & has another boy due any second. Her stories on how to raise black boys in today’s America is so hopeful.
Four: Black Owned Businesses
- Lucille’s – lucilleshouston.com – this is a Houston, TX restaurant. I love their brunch!
- Twisted Grilled Cheese – twistedgrilledcheese.com – a Houston based food truck. I can’t wait to try the smokehouse brisket grilled cheese.
- Clare Paint – clare.com – this is a favorite of DIYer @prettyonfridays. Nicole Gibbons, the founder, is an interior designer that decided to make paint easier to shop & get.
- Motherland Essentials – motherlandessentials.com – all natural skincare & soap shop in Charleston, SC.
- Campaign Zero (8cantwait.org): data proves that together these eight policies decrease police violence by 72%.
- Ban chokeholds & strangleholds
- Require de-escalation
- Require warning before shooting
- Exhaust all other means before shooting
- Duty to intervene
- Ban shooting at moving vehicles
- Require use of force continuum
- Require comprehensive reporting
- Black Lives Matter – blacklivesmatter.com
- Color of Change – colorofchange.org
- Houston Community Bail Fund – houstonbailfund.com
- Sephora is allowing you to donate your Beauty Insider Points to the National Black Justice Coalition.
I hope this post sparks change in you, as it has done for me. Please continue to learn, listen, & share.
Have a great weekend!